Phones.

The first time I ever touched a mobile phone was my friend's at my college hostel. Those were times when incoming calls were being charged; I paid him every time my mother called me on his phone. The phone was big, in fact huge it almost resembled a telephone, I don’t remember the model or the 'make' though.

I almost bought a phone when I was leaving college, a Panasonic, I don’t remember the model, and it had a -then happening- metal finish. It wasn't huge, but was still big. I was convinced I needed a phone, my mom wasn't.

It was one and half years after I had left college when I had my first mobile phone. After months of pestering, my brother brought me a used Ericsson c45, with a bright yellow display. Though basic, the phone had a hands-free kit, so it didn't heat my ears because the phone almost always started burning after only a few minutes of talking.

I used it until my girlfriend wanted a phone; I gifted the used, used phone to her and survived on fixed lines for a few months. I parted ways with her in less than 6 months.

I bought my first phone in May 2005, it was a Nokia 2600 my first color display phone, it lasted a good month because my brother wanted it. I exchanged it for his 2 year old -I don’t know what model- Nokia phone. It only had a B/w display with the keys already worn out. It worked fine but only till I dropped the phone in the Bay of Bengal. While playing with my friends on the East coast road at a Beach, my phone fell in to the salty sea waters. The next two months I could only call numbers that were already stored on the phone and pick calls. Soon the phone went dead.

In the mean while, I also bought a Sony Ericsson j200i for my recently graduated sister, she was going to her first job.

I bought my second phone, a Nokia 2300, I bought it because I had long hours of travel and it had a FM receiver in built. For almost 6 months it served me and served me good. I absent mindedly left the phone on the road after a small accident , while on my way to a marriage. I never saw the phone again.

My sister started to have problems with her Sony Ericsson; the battery was draining way too soon.

I used my friend's old, old phone for a few months before it went dead as well. I got a new Motorola W220, a simple flip phone with only a FM receiver being its big feature.

In six months I met with an accident, my vehicle tripped over a boulder, I saw in vain as my phone slowly flew out of my shirt pocket. The rain didn’t deter me from searching for the parts and when I reassembled them, the back cover of the phone was missing.

My sister's phone went dead.

I bought a phone last week a Motorola with almost all features, it was for my brother.

He called me up yesterday; the phone had gone dead. Shit.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yebbaaa...I'm amazed at the power of your memory. You can atleast recollect the number of phones u had, though not the make of the first few ones.. :D
I remember how I spent almost 3 years with the big fat Nokia 3300..

Anonymous said...

god u still remember the number of mobiles u hadd gosh u r never gonna suffer from memory losssssss ........cooool god blesss

Unknown said...

the first mobile phone of your friends, that u talking about was a giant SIEMENS phone... :) lol...